Thursday, April 16, 2015

Downton Tucky


After our coffee adventures in Louisville, our trip continued in the bluegrass state to celebrate my dearest Katiecakes and her fiance Tony in Lexington. Years in the making, her bestie from college planned an epic bourbon trail tasting and festive spring race meeting at Keeneland. The house we stayed in was dubbed Downton Tucky about two sips in on night one.


The grounds were massive. I'm not sure how many acres but I had a little crush on this barn. Mom and David's pals from Richmond used old barn wood for their kitchen cabinets. I now want old barn wood cabinets please Uncle Charlie.



I stalked the barn and grounds with my camera first thing.


The cherry blossoms were just starting to pop their sleepy little heads out. And Katiecakes arrived with bourbon in hand for both of us. 


The owner of the home rents the house via VRBO and built the home only 8 years ago to look like an Irish Hall. The original request was not to tag it during social media but I asked the owner and he said, "It's your house for the next three days. Do whatever you want."  Well okay then. I'll rename it Downton Tucky. 


We know just about all of our friends in Baltimore from Katie. She's our connector. We met her the first month we lived here seven and a half years ago. So her friends are our friends. It felt so comfortable and we all truly had a great time together. I know Katie would have invited the world, but sadly there just wasn't enough room at the house and on the bourbon bus, so we maxed out at 21. 


There were pals from all parts of her lifeline that are now part of Tony's too.



We had a very specific grocery list.


I ran across the street to peep the horses and fences. I nearly wept from the airport ogling the long fence. It's just so beautiful and as similar as it is to Maryland's horse country, there is nothing on earth like the hills and fences of Kentucky. I cued up My Old Kentucky Home on the iPhone and had it stuck in my head the whole weekend. Hit play so you too can enjoy the lullaby of the Kentucky Derby.



I asked my buddy from the AAEP why there is double fencing on so many farms:
Double fencing serves a few purposes- one, it can keep horses from jumping (not enough landing distance between the 2), if farms are located on busy roads and a car goes through a fence, hopefully not both so you don't have horses running loose. And if stallions are present, they will fight so you need the barrier of 2 fences to separate them. Fencing around trees prevents horses from "cribbing"- an addictive chewing habit they can develop. Prevents them from chewing the bark off trees and killing them. You still see horses cribbing on the fence though



Now I'll always remember that little nugget of information from you Debbie, thanks. 


I can't remember the details of the numbers of bedrooms. It felt like Carson was going to turn the corner at any minute.



I think 17 camped out at DK and 4 were at another VRBO down the road.




Katie and Tony's suite had an upstairs balcony, that was used later to taunt me as class photographer.


Scott met the neighbor horsey and let me feed her with his last carrot. Such a gentleman.



SDM, aka, Horse Whisperer.


Tony and Jolinda.



Our fearless tour leader, Katie's bestie Hedda from college planned the bourbon trail tour and Keeneland event along with Scott. Is that barn not the best back drop?! 


I could have taken this same photo sixty times of these two friends. Don't you just love it?


There were lots of great photo ops. 


Philly pals, and sister pals.


And the beautiful couple.

I can't stop smiling from the weekend. More to come but I truly can't thank Hedda and Scott enough for organizing the meaty marrow of the trip. It was so well planned. Can't thank K&T too for suggesting this idea in the first place and for finding their love. 

1 comment:

Maureen said...

My first husband went to UK on a football scholarship and we lived in Lexington for three years. My oldest daughter was born there in 1968. Those years remain some of my most vivid and wonderful memories. We lived in a beautiful little spot over looking a pasture a Claiborne Farms. The people were so delightful. And then there was the FOOD. Love Lexington!